...sometimes - it just doesn't...

Thursday, October 19, 2006

take me!!!

finding the ideal volunteer gig is almost as hard as a real job.

i've done the one-stop gigs....Beerfest (pouring beer AKA: tolerating drunk boys and their 'funny' comments), VegFest (cashier), another registration for a fundraiser that I found on craigslist.org - and i can't even remember the cause or organization(!?), Oktoberfest (passing out Pogs - again tolerating drunk boys 'funny' comments), *sigh* KCTS (answering phones for pledges), the dating org that will remain anonymous - doing any admin stuff they needed help with, one-evening stint at the Youth Homeless shelter in the U, been trying to get into Planned Parenthood since....April!? - still no matches with scheduling - just on the waiting list right now........the ideal volunteer gig is hard to find. I even posted under the "Volunteers" section of craigslist.org with my ability to type anything anyone needs help with! (no bites!). I even did the full 9-yards to volunteer for SIFF (best volunteer orientation I've ever been to!) but ended up working back.and.forth. in CA <---> WA, so that didn't work this year.........these are all my attempts since Feb when I landed here.

You have to want to help the cause. You need to feel productive - like you made a difference coming in that day. You need to like the environment & people. And also the biggest - scheduling.

I have an appointment with the Puget Sound Blood Center on Tuesday. I picked this one because of my experience trying to donate blood. I just received a packet from the Henry Art Gallery because they were looking for tour guides but all of the mandatory training sessions are during mid-day, business hours. I picked this one because I don't know a lick about art and that's one heckofa way to learn. I just mailed in my application to volunteer at the Central Branch - Seattle Public Library. Why - because I was mesmerized just by the tour of this awesome building. I'd love to volunteer there and help others find their way around it. And I have a meetup in a wk or so at Tullys to see if I would be a good match for an Activity Leader for this social group. but as of yet, no perfect match. just gotta keep going....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home