...sometimes - it just doesn't...

Sunday, October 08, 2006

"Have you been reading your book?"

errr....no. but, i told myself that i would make it a point to select certain topics to share on my blog.
i thought sharing insights on my blog would ensure that i don't let any dust collect. I feel that I learn best when i regurgitate it in writing.
i've been making it a point to ensure that i read more. not more but regularly which essentially equates to more.
i'm currently reading norweign wood. i picked it up one night and after one chapter put it right down.
the next night, i picked it up and thought it deserves one more try and i'm almost done.
that had to have been - this past monday or tuesday.

and so, incrementally - i'm going to slowly go through "The Rough Guide to Trinidad & Tobago".

What I learned today:

I learned that the collective term for residents of Trinidad & Tobago (AKA: T & T) --> Trinbagonians.

Trinidad = 5000 sq kilometres
Tobago = 300 sq kilometres

Trinidad = is more partying and everything else. Clubs, music, beaches & rainforests.
Tobago = is more beaches.

Biggest Celebration --> Carnival.
Capital is --> Port of Spain. located on Trinidad.

The population: 1.3 million
40% indian
39.5% black
18.4% mixed race (maybe this is where my mom's family fits in?)
0.6% white

We went to try a new T&T restaurant (Pam's Kitchen?) that opened up in the U-District (50th/university ave.) Friday night.
It was good. but it was definitely different.
I associate roti with family gatherings - they're special/a treat. roti with chicken curry / veggie curry and callaloo and sorrel and cousins and aunts and uncles.
once a year at the most. usually when someone traveled back to T&T. This trip was walking distance and immediately served and so plentiful.
it's easy access confused me.
I tried goat for the first time and a drink made with tree bark/anise and other ingredients.
oh and also had sorrel & homemade coconut ice cream - yum...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home