...sometimes - it just doesn't...

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Toto - we’re not in Kansas anymore!

Friday I sent out my first non-work related company wide email. Yes I spammed the company in search of Hot Pot recommendations (for Aileen’s b-day dinner).

This was not uncommon. We have a distribution list just for the site, to reach out to our co-workers for help (build the community in the company!): Anyone have recommendations for a Dentist in Tukwila? Anyone know of a good mechanic in Bellevue? Anyone use Flickr? There’s pizza in the kitchen! Anyone need this face cream I just bought? Anyone want to buy these tickets for Wicked? Anyone want to write and tell me why you deserve my iDog? ;)

So in essence, yes I hesitated before pressing “send” but I justified it in my mind. I kept the email short and sweet – “I am planning (last minute!) a dinner for my friend’s birthday tonight. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Hot Pot restaurant?” Some things you don’t think about before moving, starting to find your regular spots – from scratch!

The responses were immediate but all pertaining to…..fondue, specifically they were mostly responding with “The Melting Pot”. (but I’m not looking for fondue……) however Wiki actually defines Hot Pot as “Chinese Fondue”.

à http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot

You know…Hot Pot? Hot Pot (Jo’s definition) = Christmas Eve Dinner. Da been lo. What my family would eat on Christmas Eve. We’d cook clams, shrimp, fish, beef, chicken, tofu, vegetables, noodles in a community broth / soup in the middle of the table. Fish everything out with a little nets. You know – hot pot!
I received about 5-6 leads for Hot Pot in Seattle / Eastside but not a restaurant specifically for Hot Pot. One of my co-workers said there was one restaurant specifically for Hot Pot in Renton….but it went out of business. Really!? His lead, let him bring in his own ingredients if he wanted. Are you sure?! Well…..I know the lady though…..See!!

My ignorance for the miscommunication almost lead me to email back and send the wiki link to the Hot Pot “definition” but I didn’t want to overdo it. But how else would they know? They’ve just never had Hot Pot before, so "The Melting Pot" sounds close? (one EE wrote back 'Marie Calendars'?!) I only sent out the wiki link to one of my coworkers but that’s because I felt comfortable enough – “thanks for the info! Hot Pot is similar to “The Melting Pot” – I’m not good with words but here’s the link…..” And he ended up having gone to Hot Pot before, he just didn’t know what it was called.

In the end it was narrowed down to two restaurants: Hon’s and Seven Stars Pepper. Hon’s sounded like a strong lead from one of my co-workers but when we drove around – I couldn’t find it. So that left the other choice which was packed! Good food…good drinks…good desserts and ok ppl – what more do you need?......j/p ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hon's/Han's is closed

7:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home